Welcome to Mintonye Elementary School
Mintonye Elementary School is located in a rural setting ten miles southwest of Lafayette and is on the same campus as Southwestern Middle School. Constructed in 1967, the Mintonye building received an expansion and renovation project completed in 1993. The building continues to be upgraded with improvements on an annual basis, rivaling newly built facilities. The community is proud of the outstanding condition of the facilities in the TSC. Mintonye serves approximately 500 students in preschool through grade five. The average class size is 24 students.
A History of Mintonye
The name Mintonye /Min-tawny/ comes from the Mintonye family, owners of the land where the original Mintonye school once sat. The original Mintonye school was a one room school house east of the current school property.
The Mintonye Cemetary lies near the original school site. The original school operated from 1860-1909. From 1909-1967, there was no Mintonye school. The current Mintonye building was constructed and dedicated in 1967.
Mintonye Elementary circa 1905