History of Mintonye
The name Mintonye /Min-tawny/ comes from the Mintonye family, owners of the land where the original Mintonye school once sat. The original Mintonye school was a one room school house east of the current school property.The Mintonye Cemetary lies near the original school site. The original school operated from 1860-1909, when the school was closed. From 1909-1967, there was no Mintonye school. The current Mintonye building was constructed and dedicated in 1967.
Mintonye Elementary circa 1905
As parents of Mintonye students, we are seeking your support for the Food Finder's Backpack Program. This program is currently in place in nine area counties serving over 1700 children. At all participating schools, food is distributed through a network of volunteers on Fridays before the children leave for the weekend. Thanks to the buying power and donations of Food Finders Food Bank, it cost only $5 per child, per week to provide up to 10 pounds of "kid friendly" and nutritious food for the weekend. Although many schools receive state grant support, the Mintonye program is funded through private donations and volunteer efforts. Child participants are selected based on the National Free and Reduced Lunch program and the school counselor's awareness of each child's situation. Most of our recipients are in a household with a single parent, or parents who are classified as working poor, those individuals who are employed but don't earn enough to make ends meet.
For more information please check out our Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/MintonyeBackpacks?sk=wall